[LLVMdev] LLVM and OpenMP

Devang Patel dpatel at apple.com
Tue Nov 27 09:54:43 PST 2007

cool. Is it listed at http://llvm.org/Users.html ?

> we thought
> about using LLVM for analysis and then OpenMP for compilation.
> The idea was to use the LLVM back end to spit out C code with
> OpenMP directives. However, looking at the C code that llc
> produces, it seems that this might be a non-starter, as loops
> have already been turned into gotos in the generated C.
>
> I suspect we may need to do something else, but if anyone has
> any bright ideas on how to use LLVM for this purpose, I'd be
> very grateful.

If you're using llvm-gcc-4.0 to get llvm bitcode for analysis then
front-end is ignoring OpenMP pragmas. if you're trying to use llvm-
gcc-4.2 then most likely it won't work, because llvm bitcode emitter
has not been updated to handle OpenMP.  If you're getting  llvm
bitcode (without going through llvm-gcc) and somehow annotating it
with OpenMP instructions (I don't know how) then also I CBackend,
which is used by llc, won't be able to handle it at the moment. In
simple words, LLVM is not OpenMP ready yet.

The easiest route would be to update llvm bitcode converter in llvm-
gcc-4.2 such that llvm bitcode converter operates on GCC trees after
OpenMP lowering phase is executed.

If you're interested, we welcome contribution on OpenMP front.
-
Devang