[LLVMdev] reading a module from a memory string (BitCode)

Reid Spencer rspencer at reidspencer.com
Sun May 13 23:57:03 PDT 2007

Hi Basile,

On Mon, 2007-05-14 at 08:43 +0200, Basile STARYNKEVITCH wrote:
> >> Apparently BitcodeReader.h is only in lib/Bitcode/Reader/ but not in
> >> include, so a make install does not install it.
>
> >I'm not sure what you mean... the header is in include/llvm/Bitcode.
>
> >> Is it supposed to be accessible from applications? How exactly? I feel that
> >> some install rule is missing; after a sudo make install,
> >>  grep -rn BitcodeReader /usr/local/include/llvm/
> >> don't find any occurrence! Is this a bug or a misunderstanding of mine?
>
> >I think there is something strange going on :)  Try doing a full update
> >

> I just cleaned entirely my local CVS  copy, and  checked it out again.
>
> Then I mkdir _Obj64 (on Linux/Debian/Sid/AMD64 system, with g++-4.1) and did
>   cd /usr/src/Lang/llvm/_Obj64
>   # prefix is the default /usr/local/
>    "../configure" '--enable-static' '--enable-targets=host-only' '--enable-doxygen' '--with-gnu-ld'
>   make
>   sudo make install
>
> But still getting
>  find  /usr/local/include/llvm -name 'Bit*eader*'
> /usr/local/include/llvm/Bitcode/BitstreamReader.h
>
> and  grep -rni BitcodeReader /usr/local/include/llvm
> remains desperately silent.
>
> Obviously, I made a mistake which I cannot find yet. Any help please?

That all looks correct to me.

The BitcodeReader.h file is a private implementation header located in
lib/Bitcode/Reader and it won't get installed. The BitstreamReader.h
file is the public interface to (generic) bitstream reading. The
ReaderWriter.h file should also be installed in
your /usr/local/include/llvm/Bitcode directory. This is the public
interface to reading and writing LLVM bitcode (LLVM specific bitstream
files). If this is insufficient for you then you need to talk to Chris
Lattner about making additional (private) interfaces in BitcodeReader.h
available in ReaderWriter.h

Reid.