[LLVMdev] Documentation error in http://llvm.org/docs/LinkTimeOptimization.html

Tanya Lattner tonic at nondot.org
Fri Aug 24 16:11:52 PDT 2007

On Aug 24, 2007, at 2:47 PM, Holger Schurig wrote:

>> Well, it depends on the configure parameter used while building llvm-
>> gcc.
>
> Hmm, there are other pages on the the website that tell you how you
> should configure gcc, e.g. you're led from "How to build the C/C++
> Frontend" at http://llvm.org/docs/CFEBuildInstrs.html to Subversion
> HEAD (by virtue of an "svn co"). Then you're supposed to look at
> README.LLVM. And there you're told to configure like this:
>
> ../llvm-gcc4-x.y.source/configure --prefix=`pwd`/../install \
>     --enable-llvm=$LLVMOBJDIR --enable-languages=c,c++$EXTRALANGS
> $TARGETOPTIONS
>
> (You can check this at http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/llvm-
> gcc-4.0/trunk/README.LLVM)

Yes, I am familiar with this because I requested it be added.

> And if I follow this part of the documentation, then I don't get an
> "llvm-gcc4". So either this documentation or the other one should be
> fixed, because they're out-of-sync.

My point was that the documentation was originally written such that
people would be able to understand that we meant llvm-gcc based upon
gcc 4.0. So the documentation is not necessarily incorrect. However,
since llvm-gcc3 is dead, we can update the documentation to just be
llvm-gcc.

-Tanya