[LLVMdev] Documentation error in http://llvm.org/docs/LinkTimeOptimization.html

Holger Schurig hs4233 at mail.mn-solutions.de
Fri Aug 24 14:47:05 PDT 2007

> Well, it depends on the configure parameter used while building llvm-
> gcc.

Hmm, there are other pages on the the website that tell you how you
should configure gcc, e.g. you're led from "How to build the C/C++
Frontend" at http://llvm.org/docs/CFEBuildInstrs.html to Subversion
HEAD (by virtue of an "svn co"). Then you're supposed to look at
README.LLVM. And there you're told to configure like this:

../llvm-gcc4-x.y.source/configure --prefix=`pwd`/../install \
    --enable-llvm=$LLVMOBJDIR --enable-languages=c,c++$EXTRALANGS $TARGETOPTIONS

(You can check this at http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/llvm-gcc-4.0/trunk/README.LLVM)

And if I follow this part of the documentation, then I don't get an
"llvm-gcc4". So either this documentation or the other one should be
fixed, because they're out-of-sync.

> The point is, these examples are not verified with gcc-3.x based
> llvm-gcc.

This has nothing to do with a 3.x compiler. AFAIK llvm SVN HEAD
doesn't contain any gcc 3.x frontend for LLVM. In fact, I have
4.0.1:

$ llvm-gcc --version
llvm-gcc (GCC) 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5449)(LLVM build )

Also, the new llvm-top project ALSO creates an "llvm-gcc" binary, that
out of llvm-gcc-4.0

So, neither llvm-top nor llvm-gcc-4.0/trunk/README.LLVM will create
you a "llvm-gcc4" compiler, so the documentation is STILL wrong.