[LLVMdev] Instruction pattern type inference problem

Christopher Lamb christopher.lamb at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 21:37:42 PDT 2007

Digging deeper...

1. Is there a good reason that v2f32 types are excluded from the
isFloatingPoint filter? Looks like a bug to me.

     v2f32          =  22,   //  2 x f32
     v4f32          =  23,   //  4 x f32 <== start ??
     v2f64          =  24,   //  2 x f64 <== end

   static inline bool isFloatingPoint(ValueType VT) {
     return (VT >= f32 && VT <= f128) || (VT >= v4f32 && VT <= v2f64);
   }

2. My problem seems to stem from what appears to be under-constrained
typing of patterns. With vectors there is a challenge because
currently there is no type constraint available to indicate that an
operand can/cannot be a vector type, or a constraint that operands
must have the same number of elements (either both scalers or vectors
with the same number of elements, but not necessarily the same
element type or element size).

Even with these constraints, it would be difficult to apply them to
the standard nodes in a general way, though I could be wrong. Should
standard nodes have vector aware type constraints?

--
Christopher Lamb