[LLVMdev] [llvm-commits] CVS: llvm/lib/Transforms/Hello/Makefile

Reid Spencer rspencer at reidspencer.com
Fri Apr 13 13:23:48 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 13:33 -0700, Chris Lattner wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Apr 2007, Reid Spencer wrote:
> > I actually disagree with this. For those tools that offer a "-load"
> > option (and only those tools), the tool should guarantee its clients a
> > reasonably trouble free linkage by ensuring that all the symbols from
> > VMCore, System and Support are available. The writer of the loadable
> > module should never link against these libraries so the symbol
> > references are left undefined in the module.  This will solve 99% of the
>
> Sounds fine.  How do you propose we do that?

Well, that's another issue. The *right* way to do it is to tell the
linker to suck in all of those libraries when linking these programs.
However, we went down that road once before and found portability
issues. I think it just needs to be hacked on until it works. At the
*very* worst we unpack those three .a files and link all the .o on the
command line. I think we can do better, however.