[LLVMdev] datapoint for recent llvm-gcc4 build failures

Warren Armstrong warren.armstrong at anu.edu.au
Thu Nov 9 15:32:20 PST 2006

Andrew Purtell wrote:
> I routinely fetch the latest LLVM and LLVM-GCC4 and recompile, perhaps every few days or so. I've not had success in some cases building LLVM-GCC4 on a Gentoo Linux host, for perhaps the last week or so. My system compiler is GCC 4.1.1.
>

> cc1: /usr/src/llvm/llvm/include/llvm/Target/TargetInstrInfo.h:151:const llvm::TargetInstrDescriptor& llvm::TargetInstrInfo::get(llvm::MachineOpCode) const: Assertion '(unsigned)Opcode < NumOpcodes' failed.
> /usr/src/llvm/llvm-gcc4/gcc/crtstuff.c: At top level:
> /usr/src/llvm/llvm-gcc4/gcc/crtstuff.c:314: internal compiler error: Aborted
> <<<

Hi Andrew,

I too ran into this bug, which can be sidestepped by building LLVM with
optimisation
at the -O2 level (rather than the default -O3).  My make command was:
make ENABLE_OPTIMIZED=1 OPTIMIZE_OPTION='-O2 -g' tools-only

I was trying to track down the cause of the bug, but haven't had success
yet.

Hope this is useful.

Cheers,
Warren