[LLVMdev] Inline hints for *compiler clients*

Vikram S. Adve vadve at cs.uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 15 14:02:18 PST 2006

On Mar 15, 2006, at 3:27 PM, John Criswell wrote:

> Vikram S. Adve wrote:
>
> Hmmm.  It seems the discussion has grown a little bit larger than I
> had intended.
> :)
>
> Basically what I think would be useful is an option to the inliner
> that gives it a list of functions to skip when inlining.  My
> argument for this is that we have several transformations now that
> search for calls to specific functions; if those functions are
> inlined, the transform pass can no longer find the calls.
>
> I would like the list of functions excluded from inlining to be
> specified on the command line (as I'm using the LLVM opt command);
> providing a constructor to the Inliner pass that takes a list of
> function names to exclude from inlining might also be handy to LLVM
> programmers but is beyond what I need at the moment.

That seems fine.  I just think a more general mechanism that does not
have greater complexity is better than a narrower one.  In this case,
replacing the constants with a lookup table that can be modified by
any tool seems like a simple and general way to implement your
option, or the constructor for the Inliner pass, or more
sophisticated tools.

> I think Chris indicated in an earlier email that such a command
> line option is now okay.  Chris, please let me know if I understand
> that correctly.
>
> The ability to control inlining from the source code being compiled
> (i.e. GCC's noinline attribute), adjust the inlining heuristics
> programmatically from a custom built LLVM tool, etc, are beyond the
> scope of what I need.

The former is certainly much more complicated.  The latter
(controlling heuristics from an LLVM tool) does not seem to be
significantly more complicated.

> Hopefully that clears up what I was asking about.
>
> -- John T.

Thanks,

--Vikram
http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/~vadve