[LLVMdev] commerical usage

Misha Brukman brukman at cs.uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 14 21:24:42 PST 2006

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 02:53:05AM +0100, Jonas Gustavsson wrote:
> I have been looking at the LLVM project for quite a bit but I was
> wondering if there are any implication of using the project in a
> commercial enviroment in terms of licensing restrictions and other
> related issues, are there other people that use LLVM in a commecial
> enviroment?

LLVM's license is a 3-clause BSD-style which permits commercial usage
without distributing the source.  The C/C++ front-end is based on GCC,
so it is GPL-licensed, which is another story entirely.

LLVM is currently used commercially by hue.no (Morten Ofstad from that
company is on the list), and Apple uses LLVM and employs several people
who work on it, including Chris Lattner, Nate Begeman, Jim Laskey, and
Evan Cheng.  Reid Spencer may be using LLVM commercially, but I am not
sure.

There are several people who have emailed llvm-dev while they were
evaluating LLVM for what appeared to be commercial use, but I am not
aware of anyone else who publically announced commercial usage.

BTW, if you are reading this and you are using LLVM commercially and
aren't trying to hide that fact :), please email the list (or just
me), and I'll compile a webpage.   I think it would be nice to have a
list of products where LLVM is used commercially -- currently, we only
have a list of academic and open-source projects that use LLVM.

If you need any enticement to email me, think of it as free
advertisement.

Thanks!

--
Misha Brukman :: http://misha.brukman.net