[LLVMdev] make dist?

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Fri Apr 14 10:23:15 PDT 2006

Hi Reid,

> On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 21:03 -0500, Tanya Lattner wrote:
> > It it necessary for dist-check to run make dist?
>
> Y'know, when I typed that, I knew you were going to ask that. It
> doesn't make sense to me either. Seems a bit overkillish to me.

I think a `make distcheck' should do a `make dist' because it checks
that a tarball can reproduce itself.  It doesn't ensure that a file
checked-out of CVS makes it into the tarball, but if `make dist' depends
on ./foo being present and it's there from CVS the first time, but
doesn't make it into the tarball then it won't be there for distcheck's
build of the dist target.

I too have rolled by own automake-style targets in the past, and having
distcheck do a dist has caught problems.  That's probably why you
included it  ;-)

> > If this is not really necessarily, that would cut down the amount of
> > disk space used..  correct?
>
> Yes, it would .. by one third.  I'll take it out.

Would the saving be that great?  The `make dist' is just copying source
files and tarring them up whereas the bulk of LLVM seems to be in the
object files produced when building.

Cheers,

Ralph.