[LLVMdev] make dist?

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Tue Apr 11 20:03:23 PDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 21:03 -0500, Tanya Lattner wrote:
> Reid,
>
> First, thanks for the excellent overview. This seems like it will be very
> useful.
>
> I have a question about dist-check.
>
> You mention that it will triple the amount of disk space I am using. I am
> guessing its because it does the following:
> >    11. runs make dist
> >    12. runs make clean
> >    13. runs make dist-clean
>
> It it necessary for dist-check to run make dist?

Y'know, when I typed that, I knew you were going to ask that. It doesn't
make sense to me either. Seems a bit overkillish to me.

> Why would we want to make
> sure that our distribution can create a distribution?

I think when I put it in Makefile.rules originally I was wanting to
ensure that all the targets would be buildable, just to make sure.

> If this is not
> really necessarily, that would cut down the amount of disk space used..
> correct?

Yes, it would .. by one third.  I'll take it out.

Reid.