[LLVMdev] Dump instruction list prior register allocation

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Sat Oct 15 17:22:18 PDT 2005

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 nkavv at physics.auth.gr wrote:
> I have a question on the LLVM internals.
>
> Is it possible to dump an InstructionList (i.e. a (possibly) naively scheduled
> assembly) prior register allocation?

Sure, the -print-machineinstrs flag does this for LLC today.

> Does LLVM use infinite (virtual) registers
> similar to MachSUIF? This is, of course, meant for a given target in contrast
> to MachSUIF that features the SUIFvm ISA as low-level IR and such a dump is
> possible at this point.

Yes, it does.  It uses virtual registers in SSA form before register
allocation.  There is some info about this here:
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/docs/CodeGenerator.html#codegendesc

> How do things progress towards LLVM following release. Is Oct 31, a probable
> date for the release?

We basically keep doing development and ocassionally do releases.  We
originally aimed to do releases every 3 months, but for various reasons,
we fell behind schedule.  Oct31 is the target date for starting the
release process.  I would guess a release will roll out a week after that.

> What about LLVM-TV, is it going to be included.

Probably not.  It doesn't receive much love and attention.  If you'd like
to make sure it still works, we can figure out how to package it with the
release though.

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/