[LLVMdev] LLVM 1.6 Release Branch

John Criswell criswell at cs.uiuc.edu
Wed Nov 2 08:39:40 PST 2005

Dear All,

I've created the LLVM release branch (CVS tag release_16).

Those developers wanting to commit changes to LLVM without having your
changes go into LLVM 1.6 can now commit to CVS mainline to your heart's
content.
:)

TESTING:
--------

1. I'm still looking for volunteers to test MacOS X and Solaris.    If
you'd like to volunteer, please email the list to let us know.

2. If you maintain a platform other than those listed above, you will
want to test the release branch for regressions.  A regression is
anything that worked on your platform in LLVM 1.5 that doesn't work in
the release branch.

If you find a regression, please email the llvmdev list about it.  While
we can make changes in the release branch, we need to be careful about it.

GETTING THE RELEASE BRANCH:
---------------------------

Getting a copy of the release branch is easy.  Just checkout out a copy
of LLVM like you normally do; the only difference is that you will
specify a CVS tag with the -r command.

For example,

cvs -d :pserver:anon at llvm-cvs.cs.uiuc.edu:/var/cvs/llvm login
cvs -d :pserver:anon at llvm-cvs.cs.uiuc.edu:/var/cvs/llvm co -r release_16
llvm
cvs -d :pserver:anon at llvm-cvs.cs.uiuc.edu:/var/cvs/llvm co -r release_16
llvm-gcc

Alternatively, if you already have an LLVM source tree, you can use the
following to update it to the release_16 tag:

cvs up -r release_16

Once you have a release_16 tree, any commits in that tree will go *in to
the branch.*  So be careful with commits. :)

Thanks for everyone's help; we're getting close.

-- John T.

--
John T. Criswell
Research Programmer