[LLVMdev] [Cygwin] make check results

Aaron Gray angray at beeb.net
Fri May 20 13:54:06 PDT 2005

Reid,

>Looks much better. The stdc library things are caused by Cygwin's
>inability to recognize symbols linked into the main program with dlsym.
>For example, if lli (the interpreter) has "printf" already linked in,
>then the JIT compiler will not be able to find "printf" if it is used in
>the program it is compiling. There's currently no workaround for this
>other than to fix Cygwin.  Not sure about the other errors. In general,
>this should be good enough for you to do most things.

Great. Thanks alot for all your support.

I hope it has been useful exercise for llvm as well as getting me started
with a development environment.

Next is the llvm-test set. But I will leave that till next week :)

I am wondering whether it is worth me preparing a html document describing
the whole process from updating GCC and LD to LLVM to the CFE and make check
for others to follow. The other thing is making a Cygwin Binary availiable.
I could do both these things and put them on the web.

The only thing I am concerned about is a long development cycle, do I have
to do a 'make' or 'make tools-only' followed by a 'make install' and a 'make
check' every time I want to test some change ?

I can do most of the development in MS Visual Studio which will allow a much
faster build. But will need to use Cygwin for the test cycles.

I am hopefully going to get the NASM backend written now, followed by a COFF
and possibly direct Windows PE backends.

Cheers,

Aaron