[LLVMdev] Testing Release 1.5

John Criswell criswell at cs.uiuc.edu
Tue May 17 12:59:14 PDT 2005

Misha Brukman wrote:
> On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 01:20:48PM -0500, John Criswell wrote:
>
>>Personally, I never use "gmake check."
>>
>>What I do is checkout everything out, build it, run the tests in
>>"llvm/test," and then run all of the tests in the llvm-test CVS
>>module.
>

> I think the nightly test script can be used for this specific task,
> after all, that's what it's designed to do!  If an option were added to
> it to test a particular branch, it could be used directly without any
> other modifications.  Am I correct?

For the most part.  There are actually a couple of things that make the
process different.

First, the nightly tester is designed to test LLVM given that you have a
GCC frontend (CFE) already compiled.  Part of my process is building CFE
binaries and then testing them along with LLVM.  The nightly tester does
not build it's own CFE; it would have to be adjusted to do this.

Second, everyone is testing the CVS mainline.  Having something that
tests a specific CVS label would be good.  That's a small mod to the
script, as you suggested above.

-- John T.

--
John T. Criswell