[LLVMdev] Version Control Upgrade?

Tom Brown tdbrown at uiuc.edu
Fri Jan 7 22:36:42 PST 2005

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 04:35:35PM -0800, Reid Spencer wrote:
> Of the tools available, it seems that only subversion, arch, and
> monotone are suitable for our purposes. But, we'd love to hear your
> thoughts; especially if you have first-hand experience with these tools.

As the person maintaining a repository and someone using working copies
I much prefer subversion to cvs. I found the move from cvs to subversion
using the cvs2svn tool painless for a repository without tags. I have
not used tags in cvs. Setting svn:eol-style correctly so text checkouts
work to unix and dos can be a pain. Make sure all commiters use
auto-props and you may want to set up
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/contrib/hook-scripts/check-mime-type.pl

I not familiar with arch or monotone, but would encourage cvs users to
change to svn.

It was handy that you were still using cvs in the fall semester because
our group used subversion on top of a cvs checkout.

Tom

--
Tom Brown   tdbrown at uiuc.edu   Siebel Center 2107   +1 (217) 778-7908