[LLVMdev] Version Control Upgrade?

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Fri Jan 7 16:35:35 PST 2005

LLVMers,

The oversight group has been kicking around the idea of getting a better
version control system than CVS. The problem is, we're not quite sure
what "better" means. So, we thought we'd ask your opinions.

If you're interested in this topic (and you should be if you're actively
developing), please have a look at this site:
http://better-scm.berlios.de/comparison/comparison.html It has quite a
nice comparison of key features that we're interested in. Some of the
features we think are important are shown in the list below. The text in
square brackets is the corresponding item at the comparison site.

      * [Atomic Commit] - all changed files in a change set get
        committed or none of them do.
      * [Repository Permissions] - control read/write access to the
        repository on a per-user basis, preferably allowing the
        authentication to be hooked into an apache server (like
        mod_webdav).
      * [Files and Directories Moves or Renames] - make sure moves and
        renames of both files and directories are tracked as well as
        edits.
      * [Remote Repository Replication] - ability to clone a repository
        and "take it with you" so you can commit changes while
        disconnected from the network. This supports distributed
        development.
      * [Change set support]. Groups together related changes in
        multiple files as a logical "change set". This helps when you
        need to back out (revert) a change or the change needs to be
        propagated to another repository because all the related changes
        are managed as a group.
      * [Tracking Line-wise File History] - basically support stuff like
        cvs annotate to see who modified the file and when on a
        line-by-line basis.

Of the tools available, it seems that only subversion, arch, and
monotone are suitable for our purposes. But, we'd love to hear your
thoughts; especially if you have first-hand experience with these tools.

Thanks in advance,

Reid