[LLVMdev] VC++ linking issues, revisited

Jeff Cohen jeffc at jolt-lang.org
Sat Jan 1 19:10:32 PST 2005

No, VC++ has no way to combine multiple .obj files into one.  Nor is
there any way to force the entire contents of a .lib file into an
executable.  Believe me, I looked for a way.  Morten couldn't find one
either.  Even Microsoft's command line tools can't do it.  Advantage:  GNU.

DLLs aren't that slow any more.  Windows is so dependent on DLLs (the
Win32 API itself is implemented as DLLs) that a lot of effort has gone
into optimizing them.  You wouldn't believe the number of DLLs that are
present in a process for a program that doesn't have any DLLs of its
own.  I even found the VC++ 6.0 runtime DLL in LLVM processes, and I
haven't a clue how *that* got loaded (must be used by some
system-supplied DLL).