[LLVMdev] Re: Starting with LLVM-GCC on Cygwin

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Wed Oct 6 08:51:39 PDT 2004

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Alex Vinokur wrote:
> > have less impact than for a CPU bound program).  In any case, I've added
> > this program to the LLVM testsuite as
> > SingleSource/Benchmarks/Misc-C++/bigfib.cpp, so we should have numbers for
> > it generated every night on multiple platforms.
> >
> [snip]
>
> Newsgroup http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.c%2B%2B.perfometer contains another testsuites.
> For instance:

> 2. C/C++ Program Perfometer
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/cpp-perfometer/
> http://alexvn.freeservers.com/s1/perfometer.html
>
> Latest version is 2.8.0-1.18. Its description can be ssen at
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.c%2B%2B.perfometer/39

I downloaded this and took a quick look at it.  It looks like an
interesting suite of benchmarks, similar in design to oopack.
Unfortunately, it does not compile with LLVM (or GCC 3.4), as the source
is not compliant with two phase name lookup.  I get errors such as:

$ llvmg++ -O3 -I. -DOPT_LEVEL=-1 -W -Wall -c pfmeter.cpp
In file included from pfmeter2.h:50,
                 from pfmeter.cpp:44:
pfmeter.h: In destructor `ClassPerfoMeter<T1, T2,
T3>::~ClassPerfoMeter()':
pfmeter.h:620: error: there are no arguments to
`check_state_resource_values' that depend on a template parameter, so a
declaration of `check_state_resource_values' must be available
pfmeter.h:620: error: (if you use `-fpermissive', G++ will accept your
code, but allowing the use of an undeclared name is deprecated)
pfmeter.h:621: error: there are no arguments to `check_state_clock' that
depend on a template parameter, so a declaration of `check_state_clock'
must be available

and (with -fpermissive):
pfmeter2.h: In member function `void ClassPerfoMeter<T1, T2,
T3>::dtor_action() const':
pfmeter2.h:832: error: `end_resource_value_' undeclared (first use this
function)

In any case, our test suite works best with individual programs that do
one thing, then exit (like the fib program), so perfmeter isn't directly
useful.  It's a neat suite though, thanks for the pointer!

-Chris

--
http://llvm.org/
http://nondot.org/sabre/