[LLVMdev] Final Visual Studio Patches

Jeff Cohen jeffc at jolt-lang.org
Tue Nov 2 07:16:53 PST 2004

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 10:25:39 +0100
"Henrik Bach" <henrik_bach_llvm at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've come over an open source script which should be able to convert unix
> (gnu?) like makefiles to nmake. However, It possible needs some changes to
> work with the llvm makefile framework.

I'm very doubtful this utility is of any use.  nmake is useless compared
to gnu make.  I don't see how gnu makefiles can be converted to nmake
makefiles except in the most trivial of cases.

> Until then, I strongly suggest a repository for the msvc project files until
> we'll come with a lasting solution. It is natural that we, msvc guys, should
> keep these files in shape.
>
> Henrik.

Like it or not, I suspect solution and projects files are the lasting
solution.  Makefiles are not normally used in the Windows world, because
nmake is not usable for anything non-trivial.  Microsoft doesn't make
nmake truly useful, because no one uses it enough to care.  Heck, I
could never get nmake to work with the makefiles generated by Visual
Studio!  Instead of fixing nmake, Microsoft simply dropped from VS the
option of generating makefiles.