[LLVMdev] Final Visual Studio Patches

Vikram S. Adve vadve at cs.uiuc.edu
Mon Nov 1 12:43:50 PST 2004

While a single mechanism is best in principle, it *is* possible to come
up with one so complicated or unfamiliar that it is harder to use on
all platforms.  The Windows and *nix development worlds seem different
enough that there is a risk of ending up like this.  I'm not objecting
to trying to create a unified build system, but I think it's worth
considering whether the result will actually be better than 2 separate
systems (which we already now have, thanks to Morten's and others'
efforts).

Another alternative may be to unify the LLVM-side information
(opt/debug options, tool names, directories, test scripts, etc.) so
that most tasks only require you to make changes in one place, and then
let the rest of the build system be separate for the two platforms.

--Vikram
http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/~vadve
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/