[LLVMdev] Accurate garbage collection support

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Tue May 25 12:04:01 PDT 2004

On Tue, 25 May 2004, Tobias Nurmiranta wrote:

> By the way, it would be nice to have a small example in the documentation
> how to compile code to use the GC. A small code example and the flags to
> llvm to compile it.

Here's my first (simple) testcase:
http://mail.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvm-commits/Week-of-Mon-20040517/014552.html

The steps needed to compile and test it are a bit obscure right now,
because you have to explicitly link in the GC runtime.  I expect that a
GC'd language front-end would probably just link the GC into its standard
runtime to make this nicer (or hide it in the compiler driver).  In any
case, when I finish up the GC doc, I will include instructions on how to
do simple tests.  :)

-Chris

> On Mon, 24 May 2004, Chris Lattner wrote:
>

> > I recently added initial support for accurate GC to LLVM, as described in
> > this document:
> >
> > http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/docs/GarbageCollection.html
> >
> > I've started implementing a trivial copying collector as a testcase for
> > it, but it is not done yet.  All code generators support identification of
> > roots on the stack though.
> >
> > If you're interested in such things, I would really appreciate feedback on
> > the document, especially from front-end authors or garbage collection
> > implementor type-of-people.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > -Chris
> >
> > --