[LLVMdev] Some backend questions

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Mon Jun 7 02:04:01 PDT 2004

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Vladimir Prus wrote:

> > I assume that you're planning on only
> > targetting the RISC core and not the vector copro?
>
> Right. It would be experemely hard to generate efficient code for the vector
> unit.

Not extremely hard, just a different set of technology.  Depending on what
your goals are, we could support it with some simple intrinsics to begin
with, then eventually have LLVM optimizations that produce the intrinsics
automatically.  Again, it totally depends on what your goals are, and if
the vector unit is not important for your work, it can be left to someone
who finds it to be important.  In the beginning, leaving the vector unit
completely idle is the right way to go! :)

-Chris

--
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/
http://www.nondot.org/~sabre/Projects/