[LLVMdev] Constants.cpp:368: error: `INT8_MAX' undeclared (firstuse this function)

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Thu Jul 15 16:11:48 PDT 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 18:19:11 -0500 (CDT)
  Chris Lattner <sabre at nondot.org> wrote:

> This has no impact on the users at all... it has an impact on the
> maintainers of the LLVM .bc file reader. :)  The LLVM BC file reader has
> to have compatibility code to support loading of all released LLVM
> bytecode formats (1.0, 1.1, 1.2, etc).

Good point.

> There is always a tension between releasing too frequently (so people
> never bother to run the latest and greatest) or releasing too slowly (CVS
> drifts too much from the latest release).  I agree that a release every 3
> months seems best.

On the other hand, I also believe that each release should be targeted
towards some scope. The devs should get together at the start of a release
cycle, sign up for what they'll do in the next 3 months, and a (loose) plan
should be set for the next release. Having an objective for the release is
important to keep it on focus. If it all gets done in 2 months, fine,
release early. If it isn't done in 3 months, either cut scope (back out
changes) or decide to extend .. but never beyond 4 months. Of course, there
should always be wiggle room for new ideas, contributed patches, etc. The
release target should be just a guideline of the major new functionality and
bug fixes to be addressed. Sound reasonable?

Reid.