[LLVMdev] Constants.cpp:368: error: `INT8_MAX' undeclared (firstuse this function)

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Thu Jul 15 16:19:11 PDT 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Reid Spencer wrote:
> > Another thing that is on my short list for 1.3 is to get as many .bc
> > format changes out of the way as possible so the backwards compat code in
> > the .bc reader is simpler.  In particular, I would at least like to get
> > placeholders for PR263 and maybe PR400.
>
> This I strongly agree with. We need to minimize impact to end users. I'll do
> what I can but I think CPR is a higher value target so will focus on that
> first.

This has no impact on the users at all... it has an impact on the
maintainers of the LLVM .bc file reader. :)  The LLVM BC file reader has
to have compatibility code to support loading of all released LLVM
bytecode formats (1.0, 1.1, 1.2, etc).

> > but there is a cost to doing to testing and packaging for a release.
> > This responsibility usually falls on John Criswell's shoulders, so we try
> > to fit these things into his schedule.
>
> Hmm. I think that kinda needs to change, especially as number of LLVM
> developers goes. Everyone needs to get involved just before a release and
> test, test, fix, test.  Testing should be divied up (especially known
> problems). Developers should be assigned to expand/strengthen testing in
> areas new to the release, etc. Leaving it in one person's hands is both a
> bottleneck and kinda unfair to John (unless he's a masochist)

That's a good point.  I don't think that John would have a problem with
that at all either :)

> > :)  In my personal view of the
> > world, I think that 2 or 3 months between a release is about right.
>
> 4 releases per year is pretty standard. 1 per quarter. Certainly the
> frequency shouldn't be less unless there is some strong need or a given
> release proves problematic to test, but 1ce per quarter suits me well.

There is always a tension between releasing too frequently (so people
never bother to run the latest and greatest) or releasing too slowly (CVS
drifts too much from the latest release).  I agree that a release every 3
months seems best.

-Chris

--
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/