[LLVMdev] Optimization opportunity

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Sun Aug 29 16:19:21 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-29 at 16:01, Jeff Cohen wrote:
> Fair enough...  The following tests under MultiSource fail:
>
> Benchmarks/Olden/power
> Benchmarks/OptimizerEval
> Benchmarks/Ptrdist/ks
> Benchmarks/MallocBench/perl
> Applications/sgefa
>
> However, they also fail in the exact same way without my change.
> OptimizerEval appears to be non-deterministic; it produces different
> output each time it runs.  Everything else passes.  I also compared a
> few *.s files generated by the tests, with and without my change, to see
> if everything is as I expected.

I know for certain that sgefa, perl, and power are XFAIL tests. Not sure
about the other two.

> I tried running SingleSource also, and ran into a few problems.  Some of
> the tests failed because they cannot include alloca.h.  This may be a
> linux dependency.  Anyway, again I saw the same results with or without
> my change.

Which platform are you compiling on?

> I cannot run qmtest at all.  I don't seem to have it or any way of
> building it.

qmtest is an external package. You need version 2.03. I suggest you
read:

http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/docs/TestingGuide.html

In the requirements section there's a link to the QMTest software.

> There's no rush to commit this.  If you don't feel comfortable doing so,
> it can wait until Chris gets back.  And as it's my first submission, you
> shouldn't feel comfortable :)

On the other hand, two weeks is a long time to wait for your first
submission :) I'm going to review the code, if it looks good I'll test
it, if that looks okay, I'll commit it and we can see what it does to
the nightly tester.

Thanks for your willingness to help, Jeff.

Reid.