[LLVMdev] Can't get llvmg++ to work

Misha Brukman brukman at uiuc.edu
Sat Aug 21 16:36:08 PDT 2004

On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 04:15:49PM -0700, Jeff Cohen wrote:
> I don't know if it's under cvs.  It's the "getting started" page
> (http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/docs/GettingStarted.html) in section "Getting
> Started Quickly (A Summary)".  But careful reading of the remainder of
> the page does give the correct path.

http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/docs/* is a copy of llvm/docs/* so it is under
CVS and you get it if you check out the `llvm' module.

> Another error I found on the same page concerns "gmake install".  It
> does far more than copy bytecode libraries; it tries to create a full
> installation on /usr/local.  Naturally that failed because I wasn't root
> at the time.  I wouldn't want it to install there anyway.

You should run 'gmake install-bytecode', not 'gmake install' (I'll fix
that in the doc).  It should install into the $LLVMGCCDIR/bytecode-libs.
You specify the llvm-gcc dir with

  ./configure --with-llvmgccdir=<dir>

so that Makefile.config has correct settings.  The default is probably
/usr/local which is where it wants to install to.

> > > I can create a tarbell of the FreeBSD binaries and upload it to
> > > you if you like (once I confirm everything is working properly).
> >
> > yes. That would be good. Could you cc: Misha Brukman and Brian Gaeke
> > on that too. I don't have write access to the LLVM web site (I'm not
> > affiliated with UIUC).
>
> It's confirmed.  Everything's working just fine.  Just let me know
> where to ftp it.  I assume Misha and Brian are on this mailing list.

I don't have an ftp server that accepts incoming files.  I do not object
to attachments via email.  Maybe Brian has an ftp server?  Otherwise you
can just email me.

--
Misha Brukman :: http://misha.brukman.net :: http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu