[LLVMdev] Can't get llvmg++ to work

Jeff Cohen jeffc at jolt-lang.org
Sat Aug 21 16:15:49 PDT 2004

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 08:52:28 -0700
Reid Spencer <reid at x10sys.com> wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 08:07, Jeff Cohen wrote:
> > OK.  I've built the front end without any heartaches, but I did
> > encountered the following glitches:
> >
> > The documentation of --with-llvmgccdir is a bit ambiguous.  I had to
> > try several paths before I got the right one.  It should state that
> > the directory is <path>/cfrontend/<platform>/llvm-gcc.
>
> Okay, I'm not sure which documentation you're referring to but if
> you'd care to submit a patch, I'd be happy to apply it. Please use
> unified diff (cvs diff -u).

I don't know if it's under cvs.  It's the "getting started" page
(http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/docs/GettingStarted.html) in section "Getting
Started Quickly (A Summary)".  But careful reading of the remainder of
the page does give the correct path.

Another error I found on the same page concerns "gmake install".  It
does far more than copy bytecode libraries; it tries to create a full
installation on /usr/local.  Naturally that failed because I wasn't root
at the time.  I wouldn't want it to install there anyway.

> > I can create a tarbell of the FreeBSD binaries and upload it to you
> > if you like (once I confirm everything is working properly).
>
> yes. That would be good. Could you cc: Misha Brukman and Brian Gaeke
> on that too. I don't have write access to the LLVM web site (I'm not
> affiliated with UIUC).

It's confirmed.  Everything's working just fine.  Just let me know where
to ftp it.  I assume Misha and Brian are on this mailing list.