[LLVMdev] Can't get llvmg++ to work

Jeff Cohen jeffc at jolt-lang.org
Fri Aug 20 08:07:43 PDT 2004

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 08:45:23 -0700
Reid Spencer <reid at x10sys.com> wrote:

> Also, as a general note, make sure you follow precisely the steps for
> building the c front end. If you discover any BSDisms that aren't
> documented, we'd love to hear about them.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Reid.

OK.  I've built the front end without any heartaches, but I did
encountered the following glitches:

The documentation of --with-llvmgccdir is a bit ambiguous.  I had to try
several paths before I got the right one.  It should state that the
directory is <path>/cfrontend/<platform>/llvm-gcc.

I figured it was a good idea to throw away any part of the runtime that
did compile successfully, so I "cd runtime" and did a "gmake clean".
This apparently deleted too many files, as I then got:

gmake[3]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/home/llvm/obj/runtime/GCCLibraries/crtend/BytecodeObj/crtend.bc', needed by `/usr/home/llvm/obj/runtime/GCCLibraries/crtend/BytecodeObj/comp_main.bc'.  Stop.

Rerunning configure cured the problem.  But that touched something that
triggers a lot of recompilation.  Alas the machine I'm using is
underpowered and it'll be a while before it's finished.  In the hardware
requirements you might want to add 128MB as the minimum for x86 systems.
Please don't ask how I know that :-)

I can create a tarbell of the FreeBSD binaries and upload it to you if
you like (once I confirm everything is working properly).

Jeff