[LLVMdev] large linking time

Misha Brukman brukman at uiuc.edu
Mon Nov 3 17:01:02 PST 2003

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 04:42:46PM -0600, Rahul Joshi wrote:
> I have observed that the LLVM build takes pretty long time
> to link executables (i.e. tools). Is that a normal behavior?

Yes, we've noticed that too, on our (slower) Sparc machines.
Works much nicer on our shiny faster X86 machines though. :)

Please note that you do not need to relink *all* the tools unless you
really are using *ALL* of them. Different tools use different subsets of
libraries, and if you are linking ALL the tools, that's a lot of linking
of similar sets of libraries, over and over (and they can get big). For
example, many tools use the VMCore and bytecode reader/writer.

So just edit llvm/tools/Makefile and exclude the tools you do not use,
your builds will be much faster.

--
Misha Brukman :: http://misha.brukman.net