[LLVMdev] large linking time

John Criswell criswell at uiuc.edu
Mon Nov 3 16:59:00 PST 2003

Rahul Joshi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have observed that the LLVM build takes pretty long time
> to link executables (i.e. tools). Is that a normal behavior?

	It depends on what hardware you are running, but yes, I would say that
the link time for the LLVM tools is on the longer side.

	You could try to trim it down by building non-debug executables or by
manually adding linker options to strip unnecessary symbols (if using
GNU ld).  If these things speed it up, please let us know.

	Just out of curiousity, what sort of hardware are you using?

> Thanks,
> Rahul

-- John T.

* John T. Criswell                         Email: criswell at uiuc.edu *
* Research Programmer                                               *
* University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign                        *
* "It's today!" said Piglet. "My favorite day," said Pooh.          *