[LLVMdev] repeated recursion with "frozen" arguments

Vikram S. Adve vadve at cs.uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 26 22:59:01 PDT 2003

The optimization you are describing is called procedure cloning, where the
body of a procedure is copied and then specialized for particular call
sites.  It is usually driven by interprocedural constant propagation, and
often by profiling to find which cases are frequent enough to make it
worthwhile (here the recursive calls would make both cases -- x=1 and x=2 --
worthwhile).

LLVM would be very well suited to this though we don't have any of the above
capabilities yet.

--Vikram
http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/~vadve