[llvm] [mlir] [NFC][mlir][NVVM] Move op descriptions to NVVMOpsDoc.td (PR #225090)

Rajat Bajpai via llvm-commits llvm-commits at lists.llvm.org
Mon Sep 28 04:11:58 PDT 2026


rajatbajpai wrote:

> You seem to be missing my point: I see your change as making it harder and less likely that we will address this during code review, because now it's not even in the same file, it's not going to show up in the diff. Right now, when someone changes an operation by adding an attribute or something like this, I have the doc right above in the same diff and can review it.

Thanks for elaborating. I understand your concern that if the description is moved to a separate file, a code change may not bring the corresponding documentation into the diff, which makes it easier to miss during review. I was thinking that the code change itself should drive the documentation update rather than the proximity of the two, but I agree that keeping them together is more pragmatic for code review. Given that, it may be preferred to optimize the structure for code reviews for now.

> Refactoring common parts of the doc in macros may make sense, but I don't see a strong case for this new file, and there is too many downsides at the moment.

I see. In that case, we can try the other refactoring approach and split the file by operation families. We can revisit separating the descriptions later if we still run into issues with how the descriptions evolve after the above refactoring. I’ll also be bringing in the Rubin TMA additions, which should give us a useful concrete case for revisiting this discussion.

https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/pull/225090


More information about the llvm-commits mailing list