[lldb-dev] Adding support for FreeBSD kernel coredumps (and live memory lookup)

Greg Clayton via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jan 28 15:56:32 PST 2022

I am fine with a new plug-in to handle this, but I want to verify a few things first:

Can this core dump file format basically allow debugging of multiple targets? For example could you for example want to examine the kernel itself as is, but also provide a view into any of the user space processes that exist? Mach-o kernel dumps can currently do this, but I am not sure how much of this code is public. The idea was you connect to the kernel dump, but you can create new targets that represent each user space process as it's own target within LLDB. The Apple tool would vend a new GDB remote protocol for each user space process and all memory reads that are asked of this GDB remote protocol that is created for each process can be asked for memory and each instance would translate the address correctly using the TLB entries in the kernel and give the user a user space view of this process.

So the idea is connect to the kernel core file and display only the things that belong to the kernel, including all data structures and kernel threads in the target that represents the kernel. Have a way to list all of the user space processes that can have targets created so that each user space process can be debugged by a separate target in LLDB.

The natural area to do this would with a new lldb_private::Platform, or extending the existing PlatformFreeBSD. If you did a "platform select remote-freebsd", followed by a "platform connect --kernel-core-file /path/to/kernel/core.file", then the platform can be asked to list all available processes, one of which will be the kernel itself, and one process for each user space process that can have a target created for it. Then you can "process attach --pid <pid>" to attach to the kernel (we would need to make up a process ID for the kernel, and use the native process ID for all user space processes). The the new core file plug-in can be used to create a ProcessFreeBSDKernelCore instance that can be created and knows how to correctly answer all of the process questions for the targeted process.