[lldb-dev] lldb-vscode plugin information for Windows/Arm platform

Greg Clayton via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 20 20:24:28 PST 2022

> On Jan 20, 2022, at 4:40 PM, Omair Javaid <omair.javaid at linaro.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Greg,
>
> I intend to understand requirements to set up the lldb-vscode tool for Windows on Arm. I have been looking at your vscode readme from https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/cfae2c65dbbe1a252958b4db2e32574e8e8dcec0/lldb/tools/lldb-vscode/README.md <https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/cfae2c65dbbe1a252958b4db2e32574e8e8dcec0/lldb/tools/lldb-vscode/README.md>
>
> If I understood correctly Windows on Arm platform is missing a vscode adapter plugin required to make lldb-vscode tool work on Arm/Windows platform. Similar adapter plugin is available for Windows x64 through third parties but I am wondering if there is an official version of the same plugin which can be packaged after porting for Windows on Arm.

Right now we don’t distribute a lldb-vscode through the marketplace so you just need to build it yourself and then create the directory as mentioned in the readme.

Basically you just need to download the LLDB sources to a Windows on Arm machine and build “lldb-vscode”. Then you take the “lldb-vscode.exe” binary and the LLDB DLL and put then into the extension’s bin folder. Then make sure that you can launch the program from the terminal and make sure it finds the DLL right next to the program

I am not sure if where the VSCode extensions live on a windows user folder, but the readme is saying:

~/.vscode/extensions/llvm-org.lldb-vscode-0.1.0/bin

So you would want to end up with:

~/.vscode/extensions/llvm-org.lldb-vscode-0.1.0/bin/lldb-vscode.exe
~/.vscode/extensions/llvm-org.lldb-vscode-0.1.0/bin/lldb.dll

(not sure of the name of the lldb library name on windows)

And then copy the package.json to the folder:

cp package.json ~/.vscode/extensions/llvm-org.lldb-vscode-0.1.0

Then you should be able to restart your VS code IDE and the extension should be available. It is important to make sure that the program lauches from the command line to make sure that the program is able to locate the lldb shared library (DLL). If you launch the program and it doesn’t complain, it will just sit there waiting for input. If it can’t find the DLL, then it should cause an error and you will need to figure where the DLL needs to be relative to the program. I am not familiar with exactly how this works on windows for a given EXE and how it locates the DLLs the main executable needs.

Let me know if you are able to get things working!

Greg