[lldb-dev] SB API questions

Raphael Isemann via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat May 29 08:57:21 PDT 2021

I think patches are always welcome and I don't see any problems with
the proposed new API (haven't really checked though if they are all
unavailable* through the SB API). The only downside to extending the
SB API is that we have to maintain it forever. So if we add an API
then it should be abstract enough that it doesn't restrict future
development of LLDB too much. Future development = internal
refactoring or porting to new platforms.

And I think the best way to propose a new API is maybe just making a
dummy patch that adds the API + documentation (doesn't need an actual
implementation or tests). And if everyone agrees the new API is fine
you can add the tests and implementation. By making a patch you also
automatically get everyone subscribed to your patch via Herald rules
or people reading the mailing list.

If you don't want to make patches, I think bug reports on
bugs.llvm.org could also work. Most of the thing you describe sound
like they don't need a lot of effort to implement/test, so there's a
good chance someone will implement it for you.

Cheers,
- Raphael

*Without falling back to the CommandInterpreter