[lldb-dev] [cfe-dev] [RFC] Deprecate pre-commit email code reviews in favor of Phabricator

David Blaikie via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon May 17 14:40:14 PDT 2021

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 11:12 AM Krzysztof Parzyszek via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> This is a revision of the previous RFC[1].  This RFC limits the scope to
> pre-commit reviews only.
>

> *Statement:*
>
> Our current code review policy states[2]:
>
> “Code reviews are conducted, in order of preference, on our web-based
> code-review tool (see Code Reviews with Phabricator), by email on the
> relevant project’s commit mailing list, on the project’s development list,
> or on the bug tracker.”
>
> This proposal is to limit pre-commit code reviews only to Phabricator.
> This would apply to all projects in the LLVM monorepo.  With the change in
> effect, the amended policy would read:
>
> “Pre-commit code reviews are conducted on our web-based code-review tool
> (see Code Reviews with Phabricator).

I'm with you here ^, this seems to document/formalize existing practice -
though does this accurately reflect all the projects in the mororepo? I get
the impression that mlir, maybe flang, etc might be doing reviews
differently?

> Post-commit reviews are conducted, in order of preference, on Phabricator,

This still seems like a change in practice that I'm not in favor of,
personally - due to the current divergence between email and phab review
feedback. Yes, this would be one way to unify it - but I'm not sure it's
necessarily the best one.

I'd suggest leaving this to a separate proposal so as not to
complicate/muddy the waters of the formalization of pre-commit review
practice.