[lldb-dev] GSoC 2020 | Introduction | Shivam Mittal

shivam gupta via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Mar 15 16:52:52 PDT 2020

Hello Shivam,

I Cc'd Adrian and Jim, project mentor and Sourabh, an experienced LLDB
contributor from India to introduce you.

I don't have much LLDB knowledge to explain the project but I can point you
to get involved in the community. So now only giving you lookups to start
from:-

First, read documentation from LLVM and LLDB websites:-

https://llvm.org/docs/GettingStartedTutorials.html

https://lldb.llvm.org/use/tutorial.html

LLVM introduction by project author Chris Lattner:-

http://www.aosabook.org/en/llvm.html

LLVM organized developer meetings in which various tutorials were
presented. Search them for your need:-

https://llvm.org/devmtg/

LLVM source code is self-documented and generates Doxygen documents. You
can refer that:-

https://llvm.org/doxygen/

Try to implement toy language frontend using LLVM:-

https://llvm.org/docs/tutorial/MyFirstLanguageFrontend/index.html

You can read lldb-dev mailing list archive to know what's are going in last
few months:-

http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/lldb-dev/

As a start point you can contribute in documentation to understand the
patch submission process:-

https://llvm.org/docs/Contributing.html

https://secure.phabricator.com/book/phabricator/article/arcanist/

LLVM Bugzilla is a good source to look at available bugs:-

https://bugs.llvm.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=lldb

I like "LLVM essential" book by Suyog Sarda and Mayur Pandey to learn LLVM
in a systemic way. You can purchase it from here:-

https://www.packtpub.com/in/application-development/llvm-essentials

And I am also a beginner to LLVM like you so always available to help or
learn.

As you have little time left to submit a draft proposal make your priority
accordingly.

Discuss and ask specific questions from your project mentors.

Good luck,

Shivam