[lldb-dev] [Reproducers] SBReproducer RFC

Jonas Devlieghere via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 15 13:41:17 PST 2019

I've updated the patch with a new version of the prototype:
https://reviews.llvm.org/D56322

It uses Pavel's suggestion to use the function address as a runtime ID. All
the deserialization code is generated using templates, with automatic
mapping on indices during serialization and deserialization.

I (again) manually added the macros for the same set of functions I had in
the original prototype. Unsurprisingly this is very error-prone. It's easy
to forget to add the right macros for the registry, the function, and the
return type. Some of these things can be detected at compile time, other
only blow up at run-time. I strongly believe that a tool to add the macros
is the way forward. It would be more of a developer tool rather than
something that hooks up in the build process.

Note that it's still a prototype, there are outstanding issues like void
pointers, callbacks and other types of argument that require some kind of
additional information to serialize. I also didn't get around yet to the
lifetime issue yet that was discussed on IRC last week.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Jonas