[lldb-dev] A bit of extra-polish for my lldb plugin

Jim Ingham via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed May 31 11:40:44 PDT 2017

Pavel, can you say more about your idea?

In both ObjC and C++ methods, you can refer to an ivar either as "this->ivar" or just "ivar".  But the DWARF for C++ doesn't tell lldb that a particular language supports referring to ivars transparently this way.  It will say that the "this" parameter is artificial, and that it is the "object pointer".  But it doesn't so far as I can tell record the fact that elements of that parameter can be transparently accessed.

I think it would be confusing for the debug information to record the transparently accessed ivars as pseudo-locals, the duplication would confuse folks, and that isn't how they are understood by the person writing the code.  It might be good to propose a "DW_AT_transparent" attribute, and mark the ivars or maybe the parameter that way.  I guessing that wasn't done because it was assumed that the debugger would know this sort of rule from the language in question.

As I understand it, problem here is that Nat's runtime has extra rules for transparent access that lldb doesn't know about.

Jim