[lldb-dev] Support for Error Strings in remote protocol

Ravitheja Addepally via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 26 07:29:29 PDT 2017

Hello,
  From my understanding (please correct me if i am wrong) , currently the
error codes returned by lldb-server are completely arbitrary.
Now the SBError class in the public API interface of lldb does contain a
string. I think in erroneous cases, lldb seems to set the String
in the lldb Status class more often than the error code. I seriously doubt
if there is a coherent structure in the error classes.

This whole error structure is borrowed from GDB, which is vague about error
codes. Now there are two questions we need to answer ->
1) Do we want to have ability to send error strings in the error packets ?
2) If Yes then how ?