[lldb-dev] Support for Error Strings in remote protocol

Chris Quenelle via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 22 16:01:29 PDT 2017

I’m just a new lurker here, so maybe this is obvious…

Is the string part of the programmatic interface?  Or just a comment?
Does the same numeric code always have the same string?
If the same numeric code can have different strings, then the string
represents a specialization of the error code?  If clients depend on
the data that’s in the string, then they may not work correctly in
modes of operation where the string is not available from the server.

If it’s intended to be part of the API then maybe a structured name/value
approach might be better?

Or maybe it’s just supposed to be a form self-documentation so that inspection
of the raw error codes is easier to diagnose?  In that case maybe the string
is always 1-to-1 with the error code?