[lldb-dev] Port LLDB to ppc64le (ABIv2) on linux

Howard Hellyer via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 6 05:58:56 PDT 2017

Hi Gustavo,

Were you interested in support for live debugging via ptrace or reading
from core files? (Or both!)

I did have a look at what it would take to add support for Power PC little
endian core files. I didn't seem too bad as the existing code for PPC 64
support just needed to be aware of LE as well. I may be able to resurrect
the patch if master hasn't diverged too much.

Live debugging looked a bit more complicated but that's probably because
most of my experience has been with post-mortem debugging. I think I
stopped work on the core file support because I didn't have the time to
learn about the live debugging side and it didn't seem to make sense to
add core file support without live debug.

Howard Hellyer
J9 RAS Developer
IBM Runtime Technologies, IBM Systems

"lldb-dev" <lldb-dev-bounces at lists.llvm.org> wrote on 05/07/2017 20:13:02:

> From: Gustavo Serra Scalet via lldb-dev <lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org>
> To: "lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org" <lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org>
> Date: 05/07/2017 20:13
> Subject: [lldb-dev] Port LLDB to ppc64le (ABIv2) on linux
> Sent by: "lldb-dev" <lldb-dev-bounces at lists.llvm.org>
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in porting LLDB to PowerPC 64 little endian (e.g:
> POWER8 machines) on Linux platform but before starting such work, I
> wanted to know if somebody is already doing it or also if there is
> anything prohibitive in doing so (Probably relevant to this
> question: clang supports POWER8 already, which is good).
>
> The interesting resources I found at the moment are: the special
> debug registers as described on the ISA [1]; dealing with Ptrace
> API[2]; and also a presentation pointing out how LLDB was ported to
> MSP430 architecture[3].
>
> Are there any other resources you'd recommend? I tried searching in
> the mailing list but I didn't find more relevant information.
>
> Thanks. Comments are welcome :-)
>
> [1] https://openpowerfoundation.org/?resource_lib=power-isa-version-3-0
> (Book III, chapter 8, page 1103)
> [2] http://www.alexonlinux.com/how-debugger-works