[lldb-dev] Running check-lldb

Jim Ingham via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Apr 19 11:03:55 PDT 2017

> On Apr 19, 2017, at 7:37 AM, Pavel Labath via lldb-dev <lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> It is on purpose, although whether that purpose is worthwhile is debatable...
>
> We chose to run release builds there so to align the bots closer to the binaries we release. Unfortunately, it does mean we run into situations like these...

We should be running at least some bots with asserts enabled to catch this sort of issue.

The reason we release lldb with asserts off is that at least historically llvm/clang would assert too aggressively, and crash the debugger in many cases where it would have survived just fine.  If you crash a compile session that was at best going to present a compile error, that's not so bad.  But having the debugger crash mid-session because an expression went a little sour is not acceptable...

Maybe that situation has changed over time, and we can re-assess this decision?  Though the below indicates maybe not???

Jim