[lldb-dev] [llvm-dev] Git Move: GitHub+modules proposal

Renato Golin via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 27 03:18:30 PDT 2016

On 27 June 2016 at 01:20, Matthias Braun <matze at braunis.de> wrote:
> I really liked the the solution proposed earlier in this thread: Do nothing server side, but instead use
> `git rev-list --count master` on the client side (which takes 0.9s on my machine) to get the number of the commit. So nothing to do on the ID part IMO.

Mehdi replied to this proposal:

"it does not help to solve the cross-repository problem, we need a
"meta integration repository"."

> As for updating the meta repository: We could disable write access for the normal llvm developer and delegate the submodule bumping to an external
> server. I believe this would be an easy enough job for buildbot or jenkins.

The plan is to disable all write access to this repository (otherwise
we'll create a nightmare). Having an external counter could be
problematic due to synchronisation issues.

If the hook doesn't work, we'll have serious problems.

cheers,
--renato