[lldb-dev] Testing through api vs. commands

Todd Fiala via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 5 12:30:03 PDT 2015

IMHO that all sounds reasonable.

FWIW - I wrote some tests for the test system changes I put in (for the
pure-python impl of timeout support), and in the process, I discovered a
race condition in using a python facility that there really is no way I
would have found anywhere near as reasonably without having added the
tests.  (For those of you who are test-centric, this is not a surprising
outcome, but I'm adding this for those who may be inclined to think of it
as an afterthought).

-Todd

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 11:24 AM, Zachary Turner via lldb-dev <
lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 11:42 AM Jim Ingham <jingham at apple.com> wrote:
>
>> I have held from the beginning that the only tests that should be written
>> using HandleCommand are those that explicitly test command behavior, and if
>> it is possible to write a test using the SB API you should always do it
>> that way for the very reasons you cite.  Not everybody agreed with me at
>> first, so we ended up with a bunch of tests that do complex things using
>> HandleCommand where they really ought not to.  I'm not sure it is worth the
>> time to go rewrite all those tests, but we shouldn't write any new tests
>> that way.
>>

> I would like to revive this thread, because there doesn't seem to be
> consensus that this is the way to go.  I've suggested on a couple of
> reviews recently that people put new command api tests under a new
> top-level folder under tests, and so far the responses I've gotten have not
> indicated that people are willing to do this.
>
> Nobody chimed in on this thread with a disagreement, which indicates to me
> that we are ok with moving this forward.  So I'm reviving this in hopes
> that we can come to agreement.  With that in mind, my goal is:
>
> 1) Begin enforcing this on new CLs that go in.  We need to maintain a
> consistent message and direction for the project, and if this is a "good
> idea", then it should be applied and enforced consistently.  Command api
> tests should be the exception, not the norm.
>
> 2) Begin rejecting or reverting changes that go in without tests.  I
> understand there are some situations where tests are difficult.  Core dumps
> and unwinding come to mind.  There are probably others.  But this is the
> exception, and not the norm.  Almost every change should go in with tests.
>
> 3) If a CL cannot be tested without a command api test due to limitations
> of the SB API, require new changes to go in *with a corresponding SB API
> change*.  I know that people just want to get their stuff done, but I
> dont' feel is an excuse for having a subpar testing situation.  For the
> record, I'm not singling anyone out.  Everyone is guilty, including me.
> I'm offering to do my part, and I would like to be able to enforce this at
> the project level.  As with #2, there are times when an SB API isn't
> appropriate or doesn't make sense.  We can figure that out when we come to
> it.  But I believe a large majority of these command api tests go in the
> way they do because there is no corresponding SB API *yet*.  And I think
> the change should not go in without designing the appropriate SB API at the
> same time.
>
> Zach

-Todd