[lldb-dev] Getting ConnectionFileDescriptor working on Windows

Zachary Turner zturner at google.com
Mon Oct 6 13:25:54 PDT 2014

The main reason for wanting to change things is because there is no select
on windows (technically there is, but it works completely differently), and
because just a file descriptor isn't enough information to make
ConnectionFileDescriptor work for all the required types of objects.  The
implementation details are completely different whether you have a pipe,
socket, disk file, or something else.

I think the way to do everything with the lowest possible impact change on
posix is the following (this was mentioned earlier in the thread but since
you started with the OP i'll rehash the summary):

1) Make separate classes for Windows.  ConnectionGenericFile,
ConnectionPipe, ConnectionSocket, ConnectionSocketAccept, etc.
2) On Posix, keep ConnectionFileDescriptor, but add ConnectionSocketAccept
which derives from ConnectionFileDescriptor and the accept-specific stuff
goes in the derived class.  No other posix changes.  Might need to change
the name from ConnectionFileDescriptor to ConnectionGenericFile, for
syntax-parity so that any platform can instantiate it regardless of the
platform.
3) In Connection (the base interface), add a static method called
CreateGenericConnection which takes a connection string.  Essentially this
is a factory method.  This function has an #ifdef _WIN32 which will look at
the connection string and create the approprioately derived type.  On
Windows this will create either a ConnectionGenericFile, ConnectionPipe,
ConnectionSocket, ConnectionSocketAccept.  On non-windows it will create
either a ConnectionFileDescriptor or a ConnectionSocketAccept.
4) Any call-sites that currently instantiate a CFD and call Connect() with
a string will be updated to use the factory method.
5) Any call-sites that instantiate a CFD with the fd constructor where the
fd comes from the user, or where there's not enough information to know
specifically what type it is will use ConnectionGenericFile (windows) or
ConnectionFileDescriptor (posix).
6) Any call-sites that instantiate a CFD with the fd constructor but where
we know what type it is will explicitly instantiate the derived type.

The creation of the ConnectionSocketAccept on posix is necessary because it
doesn't have the same interface as the others.  It has GetBoundPort().  But
we only use this in cases where we know in advance it's a listening socket,
so there should be no issue here.