[lldb-dev] ProcessWindows plugin (allow Windows process debugging)

Virgile Bello virgile.bello at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 07:27:50 PST 2014

Hello,

6 months ago I worked on LLDB to add Windows process debugging support.

I had to put this project little bit aside for a little bit. Now that I
have some more time to focus on that project again, I wanted to share what
I have been doing so far, and hopefully as it gets more mature it would be
great to have it merged in trunk later.

So far I pushed most of my changes on github:
https://github.com/xen2/lldb/commits/msvc12

The most important commit is probably "Added ProcessWindows and
DynamicLoaderWindows plugins.". Some of the commits might be only temporary
(needed for debugging to work). Some others commits are trivial/minor and
could probably be cherry-picked immediately in trunk.

It is far from being ready to be merged yet (unpolished commits, lot of
file rearrange/rename, code sharing, cleanup and comments to do here and
there).

Also, at the time (might have been fixed yet), I used Linux implementation
as a guideline but noticed it didn't seem to work for multithreading
(StopInfo mixing up each other). As a result I had to change some stuff to
have multithreading working. That might be something that could be
interesting to have back on Linux as well.

windows processes (including stack traces, variables, multithreading,
etc...) on simple executables (compiled with either gcc with -gdwarf-2, or
clang).

Note: I might force push the branch msvc12 on github since I want to
rewrite some commits and rebase. If people are interested in helping,
please let me know and I would stop doing that.

Hope it will help starting the effort to have a full debugging support on
Windows!

Thanks