[lldb-dev] LLDB Coding Style

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Wed Aug 20 23:58:49 PDT 2014

I'm glad to hear that there is a desire to improve this situation.

However, I want to point out what seems like very flawed reasoning to me:

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 10:43 AM, Kate Stone <katherine_stone at apple.com>
wrote:

> We shouldn’t be arbitrarily different, and where we do differ we should be
> able to describe the specific rationale (as I’m sure Greg will gladly do
> when it comes to line length and naming conventions.)

Unfortunately, if you're going to differ whenever you have a specific
rationale, it undermines the benefit of matching the LLVM style at all.

If you think the LLVM style is bad (in many places, I think it is bad) then
advocate for changing it. But advocate for changing it *from the position
of conforming to it, even if not everything is precisely to your liking*.
Much of it is not to my liking, but I write my code that way to be
consistent. If you always reserve the right to diverge because of a reason
(rather than change the standards when they are flawed), then it is isn't a
coding standard at all, it's a set of coding suggestions to be ignored at
will.

Having LLVM's style, and
LLVM's-slightly-modified-style-with-28-LLDB-specific-tweaks-I-have-to-lookup-or-remember
is not a substantial improvement IMO over having two totally divergent
styles.

-Chandler