[lldb-dev] JIT debugging and Windows

Andrew MacPherson andrew.macp at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 08:20:32 PST 2013

Hello,

We have a project which uses MCJIT to compile code from our KL language
with Dwarf debugging info and we're now working on debugger support under
Linux and Windows. We have a basic prototype working under both and at this
point we're thinking it may make sense to integrate what we have into LLDB
since there are still areas that we need to address that are already
addressed in the existing LLDB implementation.

My question is around two items, namely JIT support and Windows support in
LLDB. We would first be looking to target LLDB debugging of MCJIT-ted code
under Linux and then adding support for Windows. The LLDB site seems to
indicate that JIT support is underway and I would be happy to contribute to
this effort. If it's stalled we could take it up ourselves, I notice a post
on the list from a couple of years back which could possibly be used as a
starting point?

The LLDB site also indicates that Windows support is underway, we'd also be
interested in contributing to this and knowing anything about its current
status. It's unclear whether the current plans include implementing support
for the Windows debugging API as we would require. We could push on this
area as well once we have a Linux JIT debugger up and running.

Thanks,
Andrew